If you’re anything like me you might hear the word acid and think “Acid, why would I put any kind of acid on my FACE?” Or maybe you’re more in the know than I was and are already familiar with this incredibly popular, gentle and effective ingredient and its many benefits. Either way I’d love to introduce you to Hyaluronic Acid and share with you just why we love it so much.
This moisture magician is a sugar which naturally occurs in the body and attracts and holds onto moisture in skin cells. The amount of hyaluronic acid your body produces naturally decreases over time which is why we’ve added it to several of your products to help your skin look and feel its best!
Here are some of the main benefits of hyaluronic acid:
- Hydrates: Hyaluronic acid molecules are able to retain 1,000x their own weight in water. When used topically, it literally draws moisture from the air around you and uses it to hydrate your skin. It’s molecules are also very small so they are able to penetrate deep into the skin and deliver hydration to the skin’s deepest layers.
- Fortifies: Our skin plays the important role of keeping harmful toxins outside of our bodies (think uv rays, pollution etc). Over time, the lipid barrier (responsible for maintaining skin hydration, firmness, and softness) slows down resulting in dry skin, age spots, fine lines and wrinkles. Hyaluronic Acid strengthens the skin’s natural barriers helping it lock in moisture and eventually slowing down the deterioration of the lipid barrier.
- Tightens: While Hyaluronic acid can’t reverse the effects of aging, it CAN make your skin appear more youthful because well hydrated skin reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and gives your skin an overall tighter appearance. Hyaluronic Acid helps reduce the visibility of fine lines and wrinkles retaining moisture to the skin, creating a plumping effect. When the skin is protected and hydrated, increased skin cell production can take place, as the skin isn’t busy fighting for hydration. This leads to smoother, plumper skin cells.
- Rejuvenates: In hydrating and protecting the skin, hyaluronic acid encourages skin cell regeneration which organically leads to healthier cells and a more glowing complexion.
- Brightens: By assisting in the promotion of increased cell turnover, hyaluronic acid also aids in reducing and preventing dark spots and complexion issues. When paired with products containing vitamin c (check out our Brightening Serum) it helps you achieve brighter, more radiant skin . **I feel compelled to mention that no amount of sun damage can be undone and at RBA we ALWAYS recommend avoiding sun exposure when possible and making a natural SPF part of your daily routine.
- Clarifies: It’s a common misconception that oily or acne prone skin is made worse by moisture. In fact, it is very common for oily skin to be the result of LACK of moisture. When your skin is dehydrated it overcompensates by over-producing oil, resulting in oily skin and breakouts. By helping you to achieve the correct moisture balance in your skin, hyaluronic acid blocks the over-production of oil, preventing clogged pores and breakouts.
It’s no wonder that people have been using this versatile ingredient for years to improve the overall feel and appearance of their skin. We love it so much that we put it in several of our products like our Revitalizing Eye Repair , Soothing Mask (coming back by popular demand ) and Hand Sanitizer (coming soon!). Our goal is always to help you achieve balanced, healthy skin with the help of healthy ingredients produced by nature. Thanks so much for reading and, as always, feel free to reach out with any questions you may have.