Maskne, a word that didn’t exist one year ago, is now a very real skincare issue for many. Caused by bacteria and chaffing which can irritate the delicate skin around the nose and mouth, maskne can rear its ugly head in a myriad of ways and actually worsen existing issues with your skin, ie: redness, bumps, breakouts, oiliness, etc. Sweat, dead skin, and bacteria can become trapped by your mask, along with chaffing, friction, and pressure due to frequently adjusting and wearing the mask itself. Though wearing a mask is extremely important because it helps to keep us and our community safe from transmitting COVID-19, these factors can do a real number on our skin. We’re here to help!
HOW TO AVOID MASKNE:
- Wash your mask frequently. Keep several clean masks available so you have a constant rotation to choose from.
- Choose a mask made of 100% cotton, as the organic fiber is more breathable.
- Make sure your mask is adjusted effectively without being too tight.
- Avoid wearing makeup.
- Perfect your skincare routine and don’t overdo it. Cleansing, exfoliating, and moisturizing daily will ensure a healthy skin barrier.
IF YOU DO SUFFER FROM MASKNE, HERE’S HOW TO TREAT IT:
- Cleanse with an organic, gentle, detoxifying cleanser that keeps pores from being clogged and purifies skin naturally. Cleanse twice a day and avoid over cleansing, as it strips the skin of moisture. We recommend our Purifying Cleanse with activated charcoal that naturally lifts impurities from the skin.
- Exfoliate 3 – 5 times a week to gently buff away dead skin and aid in the removal of excess dirt and bacteria. Our hydrating Soothing Polish lightly exfoliates with Jojoba beads and leaves skin silky smooth.
- Keep skin hydrated. Though it may sound counter-intuitive to add moisture to already oily, acneic skin, moisturizers nourish skin and strengthen its protective barrier. Deliver deep hydration in addition to improving skin’s texture at a core level with our Quench Moisturizer.
- Avoid processed, sugary foods.
ADDITIONS THAT WE LOVE:
- Get even more purifying power by using our Detoxifying Clay Mask once a week. Sustainably harvested Kaolin and Smectite clays nourish and rid of the skin of toxins without over-drying.
- Try a few spritzes of our Purifying Mist on your mask and your skin in between washes to naturally detoxify and decongest when you’re on-the-go, without drying your skin out.
If you are struggling with maskne, we hope these tips help. Remember, stress is also a major cause of skin breakouts as well, so try to indulge in self-care as much as you can and please reach out to us if you have any questions.